He did not claim his cell phone was stolen or hacked, he stepped up admitted his mistake and apologized.
"It definitely wasn’t my intention," Bogaerts said Thursday. "Once I found out it was on Twitter, I went immediately and deleted it and locked my Twitter account. One thing's for sure, I don’t want it to be a distraction on the team or for me. Hopefully my focus can just stay on baseball.
"The thing is, I don’t even tweet at all. I think my last tweet was probably last year. For me to do a tweet like that was something very unexpected, definitely."
"I mean, no one's perfect," he said. "Be a man and just face the situation. As I said, once I found out, I just took it down. I didn’t even know it was on there."
He did not try to say his cell phone was stolen or hacked, but took responsibility.
Red Sox manager John Farrell said he had a chat with Bogaerts on Thursday and was proud of the way he handled it.
Can someone check if A-Rod and Ryan Braun were taking notes on how to handle oneself in the face of adversity?
Eric is a contributing writer since 2013 and a true Overseas Fan of the Boston Red Sox living in the Netherlands. He's spent years on baseball fields around the world pitching. His weekends are now spent helping the next generations of pitchers to find their passion and love for the sport. More articles by Eric: https://www.redsoxlife.com/search/label/ericschabell