In his last start against the Cubs the pain intensified, contributing to giving up five runs in 6 and 1/3 innings. Most likely this contributed to his current 8.25 ERA over five starts, second worst in the majors among pitchers working over 20 innings.
He arrived at Fenway Saturday to get treatment, as he normally did, but during the second round of treatment something was wrong.
"I couldn’t walk," Wright said. "I couldn’t get off the table."
An MRI revealed the extent of the injury. The next few days he got second and third opinions before deciding to have surgery and start working on the 2018 season.
"That’s one of the reasons why we’re doing it now, because it is a lengthy recovery process, and if I keep waiting to get it done and I end up getting it done anyways, then all of a sudden next season is in question," Wright said. "But because we’re doing it so soon, and we’re getting on it, there’s no reason why I shouldn’t be ready for the start of next season."
Wright mentioned that the doctors were surprised how fast this injury developed.
"Life’s not a red carpet," Wright said. "Things are going to come, it happens to everybody. Something comes up, there’s a hiccup. Obviously last year was a bummer and this year sucks, but it’s to the point where I don’t want to be negative about it because it’s going to affect how I go about my day to day business."
If the Red Sox can get David Price back into the rotation in the next few weeks, the impact of losing Wright would be minimized. Kyle Kendrick is another option to fill the void left by Wright.
From this day forward, the knuckleball will not be available to the Red Sox this season.
Eric is a contributing writer since 2013 and a true Overseas Fan of the Boston Red Sox living in the Netherlands. He's spent years on baseball fields around the world pitching. His weekends are now spent helping the next generations of pitchers to find their passion and love for the sport. More articles by Eric: https://www.redsoxlife.com/search/label/ericschabell